Open Mind Discussion Club Forum Index Open Mind Discussion Club
Located in Los Angeles, California

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Mind Discussion Club Forum Index -> The Office
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry
Respected and Wise Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I bit and took the free upgrade. I was extremely leery of the stated system requirements (1 Gig of RAM and no need for blazing CPU speed). My laptop is a four year old Toshiba with 2 GIGs of Ram. The OS took some time to install, but I was very impressed once it finished. The looks is sort of a love child between Win 7 and 8. The old desktop and start buttons are back, but here are some nice changes. It's worth going for the upgrade if you are eligible.

That's the good news. Apparently an old Toshiba network card driver is not compatible with Win 10 and I could not get the system to reboot the next time I turned on the laptop. After around four hours of frustration, including trying the "Roll back to a previous version of Windows" feature (No luck there), I reformatted and reinstalled Win 7. All seems well now, and I had good backups for most things (I'm missing a couple key apps that are old, but I need them and now can't find them), but it was still a huge PIA. What's odd is that it booted fine each of the times it needed to during the install.
Bill I Am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
I bit and took the free upgrade. I was extremely leery of the stated system requirements (1 Gig of RAM and no need for blazing CPU speed). My laptop is a four year old Toshiba with 2 GIGs of Ram. The OS took some time to install, but I was very impressed once it finished. The looks is sort of a love child between Win 7 and 8. The old desktop and start buttons are back, but here are some nice changes. It's worth going for the upgrade if you are eligible.

That's the good news. Apparently an old Toshiba network card driver is not compatible with Win 10 and I could not get the system to reboot the next time I turned on the laptop. After around four hours of frustration, including trying the "Roll back to a previous version of Windows" feature (No luck there), I reformatted and reinstalled Win 7. All seems well now, and I had good backups for most things (I'm missing a couple key apps that are old, but I need them and now can't find them), but it was still a huge PIA. What's odd is that it booted fine each of the times it needed to during the install.

That doesn't sound like something that I want to go through!

I think that I am going to wait it out and see what happens. I mean..how much of the OS do you actually interact with during the day? For the most part, I am using programs like WaterFox etc to work.

Signature Claims

You Tube Page
Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think I should have waited too.. It looked like the system requirements would be fine on my old laptop, which they were, but I never considered an incompatible driver..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Mind Discussion Club Forum Index -> The Office All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: